Saturday, December 17, 2011

ABC Family/JBDStyleChallenge #2 - Style Icon/DIY Shirt

Hi everyone! So from a previous post, you may know that I'm participating in ABC Family/Jane By Design's Style Challenge. To view my first challenge where I posted a shopping haul video, click here. I would also like to thank you all for the support so far - it means so much to me & I really appreciate it :) You guys rock!
The huge trunk of props that ABC Family/JBD sent us included a t-shirt & some fabric markers along with a dress form. The 2nd challenge was to design a t-shirt inspired by your style icon & post an image of the shirt on the dress form. I instantly knew I wanted it based on Olivia Palermo -- I absolutely adore her chic, classy style. She always manages to look polished & beautiful.

As you can tell, one of my favorite colors is blue/teal, and I was really inspired by the first look pictured here in this post - of Olivia in a floral dress from Zara. I figured some of my competitors might decide to alter the t-shirt in some way, but I wanted to keep it a simple t-shirt. After all, a white t-shirt is such a versatile piece & a key item in a wardrobe - which Olivia has proved how to make a simple white tee look so fabulous. She also has an amazing eye for accessories, and I found this beautiful brooch in my jewelry box (which used to belong to my mother) that has gemstones in similar colors of the floral dress. I wanted to make my tee to reflect this piece as well as keep it simple, girly & classy like Olivia.
To view an exclusive clip from the show, which will premiere Jan 3 at 9PM/8PM C, click here! It shows Jane transforming her mom's old gown into a fun winter formal dress.

I used water color paints, fabric markers, fabric glitter, and blue studs (which were leftover from my Visual Merchandising class 3 years ago - I knew I would need these items someday! haha). Instead of going for a literal floral print, I went for a more subtle/abstract look. I used shades of blue with the fabric markers and created a base floral background. I then used some water color paints of blue & green and swirled around with my paint brush. Later on, I swept water across it so the colors could blend & bleed together. I was also going for that look where the piece seems like it has been dipped in paint, which technically it was. :)

At the hem of the t-shirt, I colored it in a dark blue and also lined with silver fabric glitter. I then cinched the side of the shirt to enhance the waist. I just simply bunched up the fabric & sewed through as if a pin was holding it. On top, I glued two blue studs to make it look more appealing & hide the yarn. I finished it off by pinning the brooch.

close-up on the abstract floral/water color print I made:
I made it so that it's a great piece to stand alone but can work great with jackets & blazers - like I paired it below with my brown leather jacket & a striped black blazer. We know that Olivia can definitely rock a blazer!
[image source]

So who are your style icons? Share with me & Jane by Design by posting it onto the JBD wall & mention that I sent you over there! ;) [It would really help me out so much if you do! & thanks so much in advance!]

Follow me on: Bloglovin' | Twitter | Facebook | Tumblr

No comments:

Post a Comment